Barre Center for Buddhist Studies is now accepting applications for the position of Executive Director. This is a long-term, senior position that combines the executive leadership of the non-profit organization as a whole with the hands-on management of all aspects of BCBS staffing and operations. The Executive Director reports to the Board of Directors and implements its policy decisions.
- In partnership with the Board and in collegial consultation with staff, volunteers, colleagues, and external stakeholders, ensure that the mission of BCBS is carried out effectively, efficiently, consistently, collaboratively, and ethically.
- In cooperation with the Board, anticipate changing community needs with vision and imagination, and also initiate long-range strategic and operational planning.
- Communicate effectively with the Board and provide in a timely and accurate manner all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions. Support the work of the Board committees as needed.
- Represent BCBS with enthusiasm, commitment, authenticity, and conviction.
- Cultivate close relationships with key stakeholders, including board members, staff, students, visiting teachers, donors, and the community at large.
- In collaboration with the Program Director, develop programming that carries out the mission of the center, advances its strategic initiatives, and meets budgetary needs.
Development & Communications
- In conjunction with the Board development committee, develop and implement an ongoing fundraising plan to ensure the financial stability of the center.
- Work closely with Board members and staff to identify, cultivate, and solicit potential major donors from both public and private sources in support of BCBS programs.
- Oversee a communications plan that increases BCBS visibility, effectively using current technology to inform and engage constituents.
- Develop and draft annual budget for timely Board review and approval.
- Implement and oversee the authorized budget, maximizing resources and providing for the long-term financial strength of the center.
- Set priorities in a manner that balances short and long-term needs, keeping in mind the overall mission and long-term sustainability of the center.
- Develop efficient and accurate financial systems to provide all necessary reporting and maintain financial discipline.
- Work with the Board Finance Committee to oversee and monitor all investments in a manner that meets our long-term fiduciary responsibilities.
- Overall responsibility for hiring, training, mentoring, supervising, and evaluating staff.
- Maintain an environment that attracts, retains, and motivates a quality staff.
- Lead in a collaborative and effective style, fully engaging and empowering staff by effective delegation and partnership.
PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
The ideal candidate may be from any academic, humanities, scientific, human services, non-profit, business/professional background. Applicants should embody qualities of mindfulness, altruism, and compassion, and resonate with the values of practitioners. He/she should value openhearted, authentic, and inclusive personal relations. Candidates should value diversity and be able to work with diverse communities with sensitivity and openness.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Extensive hands-on management experience and proven leadership ability, including experience and comfort in partnering with a governing board.
- Committed Dharma practice with enthusiasm for the mission of BCBS.
- Experience with budgeting, financial reporting, and managing a budget.
- Highly developed communications and fundraising skills, comfort with development of long-term relationships with donors.
- Excellent leadership skills with a collaborative and inclusive style, able to engage and empower staff by effective delegation and partnership.
- Empathy, listening skills, flexibility, high positive energy, and a healthy sense of humor.
- Commitment to self-care and skillful work/life balance.
Application Deadline: June 30, 2016
We encourage you to submit your applications (cover letter and CV) electronically to bcbsEDsearch@dharma.org. We will be reviewing applications until the position is filled.
BCBS is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, veteran status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.